As you know, not all salads are good for you, especially if you use a lot of dressing. But you probably don’t realize just how unhealthy some of the salads you get at restaurants are.
Here are 7 salads that can easily have more calories and fat than a BIG MAC…
1. Crispy Chicken Salad- Meaning it has FRIED chicken instead of grilled chicken. McDonald’s, Ruby Tuesday, KFC and Chick-Fil-A all serve them, and they can have upwards of 1,000 calories and 12 grams of saturated fat.
Meanwhile, a Big Mac has 550 calories and 10 grams of saturated fat.
2. Southwest “Fiesta” Salad- They’re also sometimes called “Santa Fe” salads, and they’re basically like a burrito in salad form. Applebee’s and Chili’s both serve them, and they easily have 800 calories and over 10 grams of saturated fat.
If you add things like guacamole and sour cream, it’s more like 1,200 calories and 14 grams of fat.
Taco salads are almost as bad. The one at Taco Bell has 780 calories, 10 grams of fat, and 1,300 milligrams of salt.
3. Asian Grilled Chicken Salad- It SOUNDS healthy, but the calories from fried noodles, almonds, and Asian-style dressing can add up to 1,200 calories and 12 grams of fat.
The one at Applebee’s has 2,000 milligrams of salt, which is TWICE as much as a Big Mac.
4. Buffalo Chicken Salad- A lot of bars that serve food have these. It’s basically just a salad topped with boneless buffalo wings and blue cheese dressing.
The one they serve at Chili’s has about 1,200 calories and a ridiculous 4,300 milligrams of salt.
5. Chef Salad- People on low-carb diets eat this one a lot. It’s mostly cheese, hard-boiled eggs, and ham, and a typical chef salad at a diner has about 900 calories BEFORE you add dressing.
6. Greek Salad- It has a lot of GOOD ingredients, like romaine lettuce, cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes. But the feta, olives, and stuffed grape leaves can add HUNDREDS of extra calories.
7. Steak Salad- The red meat adds a ton of fat, and one salad can end up having 800 calories, 16 grams of saturated fat, and 1,200 milligrams of sodium.
In fact, pretty much any salad that’s mostly made up of something else . . . like chicken, steak or tuna . . . will probably be high in calories too.