Although we Sacramentans don’t have the beach, we do have amazing camp spots surrounded by large bodies of water, evergreen trees and incredible wildlife! Below is a list of some of the best places in the Sacramento area to pitch your tent (or RV) and feed those mad cravings for nature, cool water and S’mores this summer!
1. Coloma Resort: It’s more than a campsite! Whether you’re looking for a place to pitch a tent, park an RV or rent a cabin, Coloma Resort, located in Coloma, will likely satisfy your every camping need. This awesome resort even includes wifi, a swimming pool and a children’s playground! See the list of other amenities HERE.
2. Ponderosa RV Resort: Known as the “ultimate river destination,” you can park an RV, pitch a tent, or rent a rustic cabin and then hit the river for swimming, rafting or kayaking! Learn more in the video below.
3. Ice House Campground: Enjoy a quiet vacation in the Eldorado National Forest surrounded by beautiful Ponderosa pine trees. Ice House Campground offers hiking, biking, jet skiing and fishing, as well as a boat ramp that makes this a great place to enjoy many other water activities. There are spaces for tents and RVs. More info HERE.
4. Placerville KOA: Located between Sacramento and South Lake Tahoe in the incredible Sierra foothills, Placerville KOA is a perfect launching pad to the American River, nearby wineries, Apple Hill, downtown Sacramento and local casinos. This campground accepts most RVs, and offers full hookup service, as well as sites with amenities such as patios, internet and cable! Tent campers have access to shady tent sites with electricity, as well as a kitchen for cooking, cleaning, playing games and more! Find out more HERE.
5. Sly Park Recreation Area: If you want a true camping experience, this is the place to go! Sly Park Recreation Area is great for the whole family. Jenkinson Lake, located at Sly Park, is favorited “among campers, hikers, boaters, anglers, equestrians [and] photographers,” according to www.webreserv.com. In fact, every year the campground ranks among the best destinations in El Dorado County. It includes 10 family campgrounds with a total of 191 individual sites. Each site includes a a picnic table, fire pit, and barbecue, with vault toilets and drinking fountains nearby. More info HERE.
– Janice Daniels KSFM/Sacramento